[arin-ppml] ASN transfers...

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 20 15:03:13 EDT 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 7:35 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM, David Williamson <dlw+arin at tellme.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 04:11:13PM +0200, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> > Are ASN's transferable? I don't see it in the NRPM, but the dynamic
> > vagueness of ARIN policy doesn't mean that ASN's are not transferable.
>
> Lacking policy, I'd assume they are transferable as part of normal
> business transactions, like A&M.  Outside of that, there doesn't seem
> to be much need for transfers: these aren't in short supply (anymore),
> and acquisition of an ASN isn't difficult or expensive.
>
> -David
>

> There are legacy ASN's. There is policy to transfer legacy resources "assets". The language in 8.x doesn't discern between IP addresses or ASN''s.
>

> Why not?

8. TRANSFERS

8.1. Principles

Number resources are nontransferable and are not assignable to any other organization unless ARIN has expressly and in writing approved a request for transfer. ARIN is tasked with making prudent decisions on whether to approve the transfer of number resources.
It should be understood that number resources are not 'sold' under ARIN administration. Rather, number resources are assigned to an organization for its exclusive use for the purpose stated in the request, provided the terms of the Registration Services Agreement continue to be met and the stated purpose for the number resources remains the same. Number resources are administered and assigned according to ARIN's published policies.
Number resources are issued, based on justified need, to organizations, not to individuals representing those organizations. Thus, if a company goes out of business, regardless of the reason, the point of contact (POC) listed for the number resource does not have the authority to sell, transfer, assign, or give the number resource to any other person or organization. The POC must notify ARIN if a business fails so the assigned number resources can be returned to the available pool of number resources if a transfer is not requested and justified.
8.2. Mergers and Acquisitions

ARIN will consider requests for the transfer of number resources in the case of mergers and acquisitions upon receipt of evidence that the new entity has acquired assets that used the transferred resources from the current registrant. ARIN will maintain an up-to-date list of acceptable types of documentation.
In the event that number resources of the combined organizations are no longer justified under ARIN policy at the time ARIN becomes aware of the transaction, through a transfer request or otherwise, ARIN will work with the resource holder(s) to return, aggregate, or reclaim resources as appropriate via the processes outlined in current ARIN policy (for example, sections 4.6, 4.7, or 12 of the NRPM).
8.3. Transfers to Specified Recipients

In addition to transfers under section 8.2, IPv4 number resources within the ARIN region may be released to ARIN by the authorized resource holder, in whole or in part, for transfer to another specified organizational recipient. Such transferred number resources may only be received under RSA by organizations that are within the ARIN region and can demonstrate the need for such resources, as a single aggregate, in the exact amount which they can justify under current ARIN policies.

8.1 and 8.2 do not distinguish. Since 8.1 does not actually enable any transfers, it is irrelevant. 8.2 covers M&A type transfers as david suggested.

8.3, OTOH, is specific to IPv4 number resources and does not include ASNs or IPv6 addresses, legacy or otherwise.

Owen