[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 14 08:46:49 EDT 2011

On Sep 14, 2011, at 4:10 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On 9/14/11 1:57 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Not really... An 8.3 transfer allows partial transfers. An 8.2 transfer generally requires transferring the underlying network physical assets as well as the numbers and would generally not be a partial transfer unless the remainder was returned to ARIN.
>
> Or unless only a portion of the "network physical assets" ("customers and supporting equipment") were transferred, which of course happens all the time.

Sure, but, it's a little more than just extra paperwork at that point.

> Creating the legal entities required is just a matter of additional paperwork, as I originally said.

You have to have the customers and the service, etc. in operation and be able to document that the portion being transferred is efficiently utilized by the customers and equipment being transferred with the addresses.

> Which just leads to the question: Why does 8.3 have a restriction to just IPv4? I know of at least one case where some limited assets and an AS number were transferred, but nothing else... 8.3 should be usable for AS numbers as well.

Why? What is the point of being able to transfer an ASN outside of M&A? Just get a new ASN from ARIN.

Owen