[arin-ppml] CGN multiplier was: RE: Input on an article by Geoff Huston (potentially/myopically off-topic addendum)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue Sep 13 18:43:34 EDT 2011

> Tom Vest wrote:
> Which raises a related question: at what point in time should we
> now say that the banking sector had reached/exceeded the growth
> limits dictated by its own foundational resource base -- at the
> moment of the crash, or perhaps some earlier point in time ...
> or have they yet to reach it, and everything that has transpired
> over the last 3-4 years should be regarded as "just business"?

Just business. This is a decent enough parallel.

Just as in the banking sector, some have seen the looming crisis (IPv4
depletion) coming for a long time.

Just as in the banking sector, most of the ones who will profit from it
are the ones who saw it coming earlier and have acted accordingly, which
does not mean pleasing you or me, or doing what is right, but does mean
maximizing their profits. That includes stockpiling IPv4 addresses,
which makes it doubly worse.

Just as in the banking sector, most of these organizations tend do be
large, established for a long time, and have considerable resources in
lobbying and either spreading FUD or dampening it, depending on the
situation.

Just as in the banking sector, some people out there not only have seen
it coming but can't wait for it to grow into a larger crisis so they can
milk more money out of the situation as long as they possibly can if
they have anything to do with it. If a couple competitors die in the
process, even better. And yes if this means 1000:1 NAT, so be it.

Do you think a large bank is there to please you?
Do you think a large telco is there to please you?

It's not about pleasing Tom or Michel, it's not about doing what's
right, it's about money.

Michel.