[arin-ppml] CGN multiplier was: RE: Input on an article by Geoff Huston

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Sep 13 18:21:58 EDT 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:49:24 -0400
Tom Vest <tvest at eyeconomics.com> wrote:

> I don't claim to know the answer, or even how one would go about
> calculating one, but then I believe that the value is "u" is very
> close to being the inverse of Y (at best), so I don't require an
> actual solution in order to be persuaded that CGNs wouldn't alter the
> results -- not in any direction that we might wish for, anyway.

intuitively, i agree (u being the inverse of Y). however, some don't.
i was specifically asked what native dual stack could offer that would
be a compelling value add compared to nat (including cgn).  intuition
is not a good enough answer, we need to be able to communicate about
sharp short/medium term distinctions between the service levels or else
some investors are going to figure that cgn is their whole IPv6
deployment horizon.
--
Paul Vixie