[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-9 (Global Proposal): Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Sep 9 17:12:45 EDT 2011

On 9/9/11 13:38 CDT, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Owen DeLong<owen at delong.com>  wrote:
>> Also significant to this discussion, APNIC has reached consensus and is in last call on a policy restoring needs-basis to their transfers.
>>
>> Assuming that this policy (APNIC-Proposal-096) is fully ratified within the APNIC region, I support 2011-9.
>>
>> Owen
>>
>> On Sep 9, 2011, at 9:25 AM, David Farmer wrote:
>>
>>> A quick update on the status of this Global Policy in the other regions;  This Global Policy has just recently entered into Last Call within the RIPE region, and the Last Call period recently ended with the AfriNIC region; Both the APNIC and LACNIC regions have approved the policy.
>>>
>>> As one of the shepherds for the proposal it would good to see some discussion on the list prior to our discussion in Philly.
>>>
>>> However, I would ask that we try to keep the subject of whether ARIN should return address space to IANA, or not, as a separate discussion. As our region requested, this policy has return of addresses to IANA as optional, therefore it not a global policy matter, it is a regional matter.  This Global Policy is about how the global community wants IANA to distribute such returned addresses, as well as some minimal holdings IANA currently has, irrespective of how or whether each region returns space to IANA.  Therefore, I request we consider this Global Policy separate from the issue of ARIN returning address space to IANA.
>>>
>>> If possible I would request that the separate regional issue of should ARIN return space to IANA happen on a separate email thread, and I will advocate for separate time at the PPM in Philly for such a discussion if the community feels it is necessary.
> I read this as yet another attempt to funnel resources out of ARIN, to
> other regions. IANA is depleted, they're no longer part of the
> picture. When can we stop trying to give resources back to them?

As I said there are two separate questions;  You seem to be addressing
the question of "Should ARIN return any addresses to IANA."  However,
even if the answer to that question is "NO," it still could be useful to
have an answer to the other question of "how should IANA distribute any
little bits of IPv4 address space that it has or may receive in the
future." Because, IANA is depleted of IPv4 /8s, but it however is not
completely depleted, IANA still has some small bits and pieces of IPv4
address space.

Also, even if ARIN doesn't return any address space other RIRs might.
Furthermore, it is not completely clear that Legacy address holders
can't return address space to IANA where at least some of them
originally got it.

My personal view is, if a Legacy was willing to return address space but
only if they can return it to IANA, say maybe because they don't want to
recognize that ARIN has any control over them.  I would prefer we allow
them to maintain that illusion and have them return the space to IANA
rather than have them sit on unused space.

I will start a new thread to address the separate question of should
ARIN return any address space, and provide my opinion to that question
there.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952