[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Sep 2 18:02:59 EDT 2011

On 02-Sep-11 11:45, John Curran wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2011, at 10:50 AM, Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org> wrote:
>> You just said, a few hours ago, that you had never done a 12.2c review.  Has that changed in the meantime?
> Steve -
>
>   We do not need NRPM 12 to reclaim abandoned address space.

I have always believed that to be true, but your predecessor disagreed
in his response to ACSP suggestion 2007.6.  I can't find the original
email now, but the gist of it was that, absent specific policy to that
effect, ARIN did not have the power to review/reclaim resources for any
reason other than non-payment or fraud.

That response led directly to me joining with Owen on 2007-14, which was
updated with text similar to 2007.6 and a note in the Rationale of that
proposal (removed in later revisions) saying "ARIN feels that current
policy does not give them the power to review or reclaim resources
except in cases of fraud, despite this being mentioned in the
Registration Services Agreement.  This policy proposal provides clear
policy authority to do so ...."

That proposal evolved into NRPM 12, and still nothing was done.  Now
you're saying it wasn't needed in the first place--and ARIN is still
playing a reactive game of Whack-A-Mole with hijackers rather than
proactively reclaiming space.