[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:54:39 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Jeffrey Lyon <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net>wrote:

> There are a handful of dominant voices on PPML that are against
> ownership of IPv4 at all costs.

Perhaps that's because the ppl behind those voices have seen what the
monetisation of the DNS has done to its governance.  From my perspective,
I've only seen a few strong voices FOR monetisation of IP addresses on this
list, and those only in the last 2 years or so.

> They blame the speculators. On the
> other hand, what if it costs me $500,000 to adopt IPv6 but I can
> satisfy my 10 year requirement by purchasing $200,000 in IPv4. ARIN
> should allow this.
>
> (Note: I support IPv6 and am running IPv6 on my network currently, so
> my intent is not to avoid IPv6 adoption).
>
> IPv6 is not catching on as quickly as we had all hoped. Some of us are
> still waiting for vendor support. Despite ARIN initiatives to spread
> the word about IPv4 depletion, most networks are not taking it
> seriously and are still only announcing IPv4 space. In fact, what
> little IPv6 we do have today has AS6939 as the center of its universe
> with much larger carriers sitting in its orbit. As a practical matter,
> IPv6 is good and its needed, however, as a modern day effort it would
> still be sitting on the sidelines if HE were not dragging it through
> the snow.
>
> ARIN needs to treat IPv4 and IPv6 as equals, and allow IPv4 space to
> trade freely.

So.....IPv6 should be able to be bought and sold as well?

--
Cheers,

McTim