[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Sep 2 03:53:25 EDT 2011

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 08:18:33 +0100
Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> The fact is that almost everyone with an Internet connection at
> their home or business would be perfectly happy with ports 80 and 443
> working well and nothing else. Perhaps the occasional random UDP for
> VoIP (to a hosted VoIP service that relays all traffic anyway) but
> even that isn't strictly necessary if your TCP 80 and 443 are working
> well. Even the POP/IMAP and SMTP ports aren't needed any more, as
> web-based mail clients are all the rage.
>
> Would this be true if there hadn't ever been NAT? We'll never know...
> but it the architecture in use today, and NAT and strict firewalls
> don't break it at all.

can you clarify your position a little bit further, as follows?  i'd
like to be sure i understand your vision.  are you suggesting that in
the future we can all just use tcp/80 and tcp/443, all new users and
all new applications, henceforth, unto perpetuity?

because if not, i don't see your observations as relevant to the ipv6
transition, wherein we need to preserve an end to end packet transport
as the basis of "the essence of the internet".  which way we as a
community decide to move on this, which vision we treat as consensus,
will inform "the market" as well as make "history".
--
Paul Vixie