[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Sep 2 03:28:00 EDT 2011

On 9/2/11 6:31 AM, Michael Wallace wrote:
> I'm new over here.  Been reading for a couple of weeks.

Welcome.

> The only issue I see with IP addresses is people not even making an
> attempt to use IPv6.  We have so many IP addresses in IPv6 that we
> should never run out.

That's a myth.

The myth is that there's more IPv6 addresses than there are grains of
sand on every beach in the world. And while that's true, you'll find
that even if you put 100 hosts on every IPv6 subnet (which is entirely
unlikely) and use all of the space that isn't otherwise reserved, you
only have as many hosts supported as there are grains of sand on a
single small beach. Which isn't nearly enough to "never run out".

> The only major issue is ISP's are not really dealing with IPv6.

Some are, some aren't.

>   I tried to make a pretty big push to use IPv6 but failed doing so.
> Only because I'm getting push back from my upstream providers (Ill
> leave them unnamed).

Don't leave them unnamed. The best way to "push to use IPv6" is to name
who isn't making it possible.

Matthew Kaufman