[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Sep 1 14:53:44 EDT 2011

On Sep 1, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> That said, so far it appears ARIN has neither done nor intends to do any
> without-cause reviews.

We have not conducted any to my knowledge.  In fact, I spent quite
a bit of time trying to determine when and why a "without cause"
review would make sense, and I was only able to come up with one
reason; that is, if ARIN were to undertake a periodic and random
sampling of the resource holders to determine policy effectiveness.
While I could understand the academic value of such a review, I
know that I would not have enjoyed being selected by random lot
for such an honor (no matter how good the cause) and so I do not
care to inflict that condition on others.

However, there is no argument that the option to do such reviews
is clearly in the section 12 of the NRPM, and one would hope it's
kept well-protected from capricious use.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO