[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu Sep 1 09:37:09 EDT 2011

Hi Seth,

> The school I went to used public space everywhere, including the dorms.
> Although it's only around 18k students and 1k staff.

Well that seems profligate to me, but given inertia and copious address
space you may be right about what the average small college is doing.

>> I think we could use more concrete protections from section 12 reviews
>> of sellers than the bland assertions of the current leadership that such
>> reviews will not happen. Lawyers for the sellers will want more than
>> that, IMO.
>>

> I don't think sellers deserve any special protections just because
> they're sellers. Simply return it to the free pool if it's a concern.
> Although at this point "for the good of the community" is dying in favor
> of "for the good of profit".
>
> ~Seth

If they act for the good of the community they act against the good of their
shareholders.
In that ethical battle I see pecuniary interests winning out.
If we truly want unused addresses being put to use then we should change
policy to protect RSA sellers from the threat of section 12 reviews when
they seek to sell addresses.

Regards,
Mike