[arin-ppml] Fee structures for ARIN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Oct 30 15:24:45 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Jeff Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz> wrote:
> As you know, my primary concern is DFZ bloat and routing stability.  I
> do not think RPKI is necessarily the best way to address this, but it
> is one possible technical solution.

Hi Jeff,

The last time I read anything about it (which I confess was quite some
time ago), RPKI really didn't address DFZ bloat. It's main concern was
permitting a router to assess whether (A) a given AS was approved to
originate a particular address space and (B) whether two adjacent ASes
in a given BGP path are forged.

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> Could other folks interested in ARIN improving its IRR services
> (or not investing here) please speak up?   At the recent ARIN
> meeting, we heard advocates of those who want ARIN to do more
> with IRR, but also from those who believe that there's already
> an abundance of routing registries out there and ARIN investing
> time and effort in this area makes little sense.  More input
> from the community on this topic would certainly be helpful.

Hi John,

While the RIRs offer a natural home for such a service once built, I
don't believe it necessary for them to spearhead or fund its initial
construction.

Google, eBay, Bank of America. These are the kinds of folks with the
most significant stake in preventing brief, generally accidental,
disruption of their Internet routing. Let them both set the priority
with which such a system is built and bear the cost of that
construction.

Certainly if I was asked to pay an extra $200/year solely to fund
RPKI, I would find it objectionable.

DNSSEC, on the other hand, deals with a protocol flaw which unlike
false route origination is not adequately resolved by remedies at law.
It also uses software whose construction is complete; ARIN's
implementation need only glue on the registration component.

I don't think DNSSEC's funding belongs in my $base because the issue
disproportionally impacts large organizations. I'd be well satisfied
to fund it from my $proportional.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004