[arin-ppml] Fee structures for ARIN

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:59:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2011, at 6:07 PM, William Herrin wrote:
[snip]
> or use RESTful interfaces to ARIN online, or participate in RPKI,
> use of these services could be claimed to be of benefit to the
> entire community, or could be considered optional.  If we provide
> these services to everyone, including legacy address holders, then
> we require entry into a registration services and we can either
> recover the costs "ala cart" or in the base annual maintenance fee.

I would suggest a one time "turn on charge" for an organization to start
using the service,  when it is introduced, and a smaller increase in the
base fee across the board;  in other words, some of both.

I'm not sure it's viable though.    I suspect there will not be much general
interest in RPKI or DNSSEC records in RDNS for a long time.
This is a feature that a few organizations will want,  but DNSSEC doesn't have
much worldwide deployment in forward DNS let alone reverse zones.

It may be seen as a long term benefit to the community,  but that
doesn't necessarily
mean the community wants to pay for it yet.

ARIN should not go implementing new services if they will
significantly increase
costs,  unless enough of the membership has strongly told ARIN they
want this, and
are happy to pay more for this.

That is...  before implementing a new service that will be so
expensive to develop
that member fees might increase,  ARIN should send out a poll.
If  >80% of the membership say "yes, do this",  then everyone pays.

If  50 - 79% of those polled say yes,   then ARIN charges people to
turn on the service.
The service provides something a lot of people thought beneficial,
but a significant portion
of people don't want to pay for.

--
-JH