[arin-ppml] Fee structures for ARIN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 28 14:07:34 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2011, at 8:58 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Jack Bates <jbates at brightok.net> wrote:
>>> Take your budget, subtract ($base fee ($100?) * entities), then divide by
>>> the appropriate /24 number. Something tells me, it is way below $1 per /24.
>>> This is a rough estimate based on v4 alone. If the equation balances
>>> properly between v4 and v6 size differentials, then the value should still
>>> be close to the end result.
>>
>> Hi Jack,
>>
>> My back of the envelope calculations put it more like $5 to $10 per
>> /24, but I haven't closely checked the math.
>>
>> 37*65536=2.4M. ARIN's annual budget is something like $15M? 15/2.4=$6.25.
>>
>> This would mean that entities (ISP and end-user both) which find it
>> needful to employ IPv4 /9's would see their annual fees increase from
>> $36k to $200k. But having run an 18k customer ISP on a little less
>> than a /16 ($4500 now, $1600 with the formula) it seems to me that
>> wouldn't break anyone's budget.
>>

> While I personally like the idea of having my end-user fees reduced from $100
> to $18.75, I really don't think that would be any more fair in general than having
> them increased to $300.
>
> I would find $118.75 well within tolerance if that is what you are proposing.

Hi Owen,

I could live with $base + $proportional where $base was $100 per org
regardless of org type* and $proportional was linear per /24. In
principle, I think that strikes an equitable balance between what
seems to me like two reasonable but opposing theories of fairness.

The * being that we did more or less promise, as a condition of ARIN's
creation, to leave alone those legacy IPv4 registrants who want to be
left alone. With the rise of IPv6 (and subsequent decline of IPv4) set
to moot the issue, I think it unhelpful to reopen the wound.

Back of the envelope, that pulls something like $3M of ARIN's budget
from the per-org fee with the remainder from per-/24 fees at about $5
each. So, one of the orgs I manage with a /22 would go from $100/year
to $120/year, an ISP with a /16 would go from $4500 to $1380 and a
transnational with a /9 would go from $36,000 to $164,000.

I like what it does in the middle. That looks small-business-friendly
to me, much more so than the current regime.

Though selfishly, I'm not sure but that I wouldn't rather pay $300
with the certainty that I and every other end-user org become general
members with a vote.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004