[arin-ppml] LRSA v3.0 . MWE revised 8-16-11 (Comment)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Oct 28 03:48:25 EDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 5:19 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:05 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>  We're looking into an increase in the maintenance fee for both categories.
>
> Oh ho! So what will I get for my tripled end-user maintenance fee?
> Will I have a vote in board and AC elections? Or is this to be
> taxation without representation?

Since there's not an actual proposal at this point, it is hard to
answer that, but the thought would be one or more of the following:

 - General Membership, i.e. ability to vote in the
   organizational elections and associated rights
   and Ability to send folks to the ARIN Public
   Policy and Member Meeting

 - RPKI services without separate fee

 - STLS services without separate fee

For clarity regarding the existing registry and membership fee
structure, please see the attached table.

Clearly, the intent would be to provide the same set of services
for the same fees to organizations in similar situations.  There
is the obvious question of whether providing registry services,
resource certification, and reverse DNS services should have fees
independent of resources under managements, or based on number of
address blocks, number of prefixes, number of individual addresses,
or a factor/table lookup of one of the above.  Non-trivial to say
the least, and I'll be working with the Board's Finance Committee
to go through permutations for recommendation to the Board.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO