[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:49:28 EDT 2011

[snip]> But what they hey, as long as you've broached the subject:
> In your view, which of the other four RIRs presently implement a
> transfer policy whose minimum path through the policy-derived process
> appiles as restrictive or more restrictive rules on the recipient than
> ARIN's? I won't ask you to "prove it" in each case, but as few of us
> here are experts in other RIRs' policies I will ask you to explain
[snip]
Other "RIR policies" are not fixed.   We can't say the transfer policy
is "OK" based on other RIRs' current policies, when the other RIRs'
communities can choose to change them at any time.
How could we possiblty anticipate what their rules will be when most
RIRs don't even have any kind of Inter-RIR transfer policy?

The other RIRs are free to revise their own policies, ARIN should not
have a "variable" policy
that becomes more restrictive or less restrictive,  depending on
actions other organizations take from time to time.   The other RIRs
do not have to consult with the ARIN community to make their
transfer policies more restrictive or less restrictive,  and do not
have to consult with the ARIN community
in regards to how they choose to interpret their policies.

A recent proposal @ AfriNic   to allow members to transfer addresses
(within region)  contained text like this;     I think it's safe to
say  ARIN's  8.3 is a lot more restrictive  than the draft they have :

http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2011-v4-001-draft-01.htm
"2.1) Legacy members can transfer part or all of their IPv4 addresses
to any company under the following criteria: ....
a) The company to which the addresses are transferred may or may not
enter into agreement with AfriNIC.
b) The legacy member may or may not inform AfriNIC about the transaction.
c) AfriNIC will accord the third party all relevant access to services
and benefits normally available to legacy members.

2.2) Paying AfriNIC members can transfer part or all of their IPv4
addresses to any company under the following criteria:  ....
b) The transfer and needs analysis cannot be based on any current
policies. The only requirement for the transfer to happen should be
the contract between the member and AfriNIC.
"

--
-JH