[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1:ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 25 00:37:14 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:26 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> Regardless, the 2011-1 draft from 10/14 includes no language directing
>> ARIN to refuse out-region transfers based on any ARIN-region criteria,
>> best judgment or otherwise.
>
> It provides a requirement that both RIRs agree to the transfer. That requirement
> allows ARIN to reject a transfer on a case by case basis if necessary. I agree it
> is not ideal, but, I still believe it is the best safety valve possible under the
> circumstances.

John,

How about it? Is Owen correct? Under 2011-1 where a registrant in good
standing has requested an 8.3 transfer to a RIR that had been found to
have a needs-based policy and is either not suspected of fraud or has
passed an audit, are there any circumstances not specifically written
in the NRPM in which ARIN would not "agree to the transfer?"

"Inter-regional transfers may take place only via RIRs who agree to
the transfer and share compatible, needs-based policies."

Thanks,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004