[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Oct 22 01:16:03 EDT 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 8:44 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> Unless you somehow made fraudulent claim in requesting the addresses,
>> no number resource fraud would be found.  That seems unlikely based
>> on what you indicate above, but obviously the actual materials supplied
>> in the original resource request would govern.
>
> Thanks John,
>
> So to summarize: I would find it difficult to be a repeat offender,
> but as long as I dot my i's cross my t's and content myself with just
> one grab, draft policy 2011-1 as presently written would enable me to
> buy a Lexus by raiding the free pool and more or less immediately
> selling the results out-region... to someone with no access to a free
> pool operating under a much more permissive needs-based justification
> than ARIN requires. And with little risk: at worst really just the
> loss of the $4500 allocation fee.

If you follow through on using the assigned resources as
specified on the request, then no resource fraud would be
found.

This indeed means that parties with existing address space
could optimize their network address usage and monetize the
result.  As long as the resources had been used operationally
as specified, the subsequent optimization and transfer would
be allowable per policy (whether the resources were received
years, months, or weeks ago)   Note also that this potential
concern exists in the existing NRPM 8.3 policy with respect
to in-region transfers.

FYI,
/John

John Curran