[arin-ppml] Gaming the system

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 21 21:18:13 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> So to summarize: I would find it difficult to be a repeat offender,
> but as long as I dot my i's cross my t's and content myself with just
> one grab, draft policy 2011-1 as presently written would enable me to
> buy a Lexus by raiding the free pool and more or less immediately
> selling the results out-region... to someone with no access to a free
> pool operating under a much more permissive needs-based justification
> than ARIN requires. And with little risk: at worst really just the
> loss of the $4500 allocation fee.

If I may step aside from the 2011-1 rhetoric for a moment...

May I respectfully suggest that EVERY draft policy which crosses the
AC's desk and every proposed change to ARIN's process would benefit
from gaming an aggressive attempt to misuse it. I've seen a lot of
sloppy policy go through whose proponents are shocked, just shocked
when a Microsoft-Nortel incident comes along. If you *look* for the
holes and don't poo-poo the people who point them out to you, they're
not that hard to find or fix.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004