[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Oct 21 17:56:26 EDT 2011

On Oct 21, 2011, at 5:31 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> I am allocated a /16 for my 50,000 customer Smartphone business so I
> can stop using my ISP's addresses. I configure the addresses on my
> DHCP equipment which assigns them to each always-on smartphone. Fast
> forward 30 days. Another company offers me $100,000 to convert all the
> phones to carrier NAT and transfer the /16 to them. I accept. My
> paperwork "proves" all this. Do I fail the audit?

Unless you somehow made fraudulent claim in requesting the addresses,
no number resource fraud would be found.  That seems unlikely based
on what you indicate above, but obviously the actual materials supplied
in the original resource request would govern.

> I have a 50,000 customer Smartphone business. I use carrier NAT to
> isolate them behind a few IP public addresses. I request a /16 so I
> can assign real, global IP addresses to every always-on phone. Is my
> request denied?

Same theory, but quite likely different due to your statements vs
actions.  You would have had to request the addresses because you
_would be_ assigning public IP's to the smartphones (not just "can
assign such addresses to them") and did not do so, your request
was approved based on false statements, and your addresses would be
subject to being reclaimed.  That's okay, as your changing business
circumstances indicate you don't actually appear to need them anymore.

I hope the above example helps in the assessment of the proposed
policy.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO