[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 21 13:21:58 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Randy Whitney
<randy.whitney at verizon.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 3:58 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> 2. Earlier drafts required potential recipients to meet the
>> eligibility criteria set by BOTH regions. While this increases the
>> hassle factor associated with transferring addresses in or out of the
>> region, I believe it provides a valuable safeguard for this, our first
>> attempt at inter-region transfers. If, over time, we find that it's
>> all hassle for no benefit, we can remove it.
>
> I have to disagree with this. If both RIRs have implemented "compatible,
> needs-based policies" there is no point in having the recipient run the
> gauntlet twice, complicating and extending the transfers process.

Randy,

See John Curran's explanation of what ARIN will consider to be a
"compatible needs-based policy." As I understand it, a policy to the
effect of, "You must demonstrate that your operations will require the
use of these IP addresses within the next 50 years" IS a compatible
needs-based policy as ARIN understands the phrase, although "You must
claim that you will use the IP addresses within the next 50 years" is
not.

>> 3. Who determines that ARIN and another RIR "share compatible,
>> needs-based policies?" Unless we set out explicit criteria, this is an
>> open-ended policy-level question which should be decided by
>> policy-level people, i.e. the Board. NOT by staff. I offered this
>> criticism on the earlier drafts as well and I'm disappointed to see it
>> hasn't been addressed.
>
> Would you recommend more specific text here? How about something like
> "share compatible needs-based policies as determined by the
> [AC|Board|NRO|ICANN|POTUS]"?

I did, way back when. I suggested "share compatible needs-based
policies as unanimously determined by the board of trustees" or
something to that effect.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004