[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 20 22:29:17 EDT 2011

> Why bother with the restriction, on the off chance another RIR will
> come up with a stricter criteria for receiving addresses, resulting in
> incompatibility with ARIN's  justified need policy?

I believe that a substantially less restrictive policy would be incompatible.

Currently all RIRs have relatively similar needs-based policies for transfers, except APNIC.
APNIC is currently incompatible, but, they have a compatible policy in last call at this time.

> That is... there's not really RIRs that would have a policy resulting
> in them rejecting a transfer that ARIN would approve in their own
> region,  and if there are,   just let the receiving RIR enforce their
> own policy rather than encumbering the Inter-RIR transfer rule  with
> some ambiguous notion  of "compatibility".

The intent of that language is to provide ARIN a safety valve to not approve a transfer in a case where the receiving region's policy is regarded as too lax or non-needs-based. It is, in fact, intended to avoid throwing caution to the wind. Staff has also provided clarification that it would be implemented in that way.

With these clarifications, does that help?

Owen