[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-9 (Global Proposal): Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 20 11:16:47 EDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 11:08 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> ARIN recently got beaten up about wanting to assign an address space
> for a carrier NAT function vice assigning addresses to a particular
> organization. Translate the paragraph to, "Nothing here should be
> construed to usurp an addressing function that an IETF RFC doesn't
> assign to the RIRs."

Bill's right on target.  The concern was that the policy could
be (very indirectly) read as precluding the IANA from issuing
any address space other than via mechanisms in the policy, which
would in effect prevent the IANA from doing any assignments that
the IETF might specify for technical purposes in an IETF RFC.  I
believe that all parties now understand that this was not the
intent of this global policy, and is a non-issue at this point.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO