[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Oct 19 18:43:17 EDT 2011

On 10/19/11 17:07 CDT, William Herrin wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:57 PM, David Farmer<farmer at umn.edu>  wrote:
>> Additionally, there has been NO discussion of Inter-regional transfers of
>> ASNs or IPv6 by the community, which is also implied in 8.2 and not allowed
>> under 8.3 as it is currently.  Therefore, I think inter-regional M&A should
>> be considered as a separate subject so we can explore all of it
>> implications.
>
> Hi David,
>
> I tend to think that the 2011-1 discussion didn't veer in that
> direction because if anyone finds 8.2 transfers out-region to be
> offensive, they find it vastly less so than 8.3 transfers.
>
> Perhaps I'm wrong and someone will tell me how strenuously they object
> to transferring AS numbers and IPv4 and IPv6 addresses when a company
> is sold and its infrastructure moved from one country to another.

Honestly, I'm not fundamentally opposed to ASN or IPv6 transfers, in
region or inter-region.  But, I am opposed to sneaking them in the back
door, if we allow them they need to be discussed fully.  I view Prop-157
is the start of that discussion.

Additionally, I think we really need to give some serious thought about
some of the technical issue around IPv6, especially regarding issues
like sparse allocation, but I'm sure there are others too.  These could
be tricky in region, but they are even more tricky transferring out of
region.  Like, do we transfer to the other RIR only the registered
block, the registered block plus the next 1,2, or 3 nibbles?  Especially
in IPv6 we could create consequences that we have to live with for a
very long time.  I'd rather not rush that discussion.

Even more, I'd rather not block inter-region IPv4 transfers with that
discussion.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952