[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Oct 19 17:57:35 EDT 2011

On 10/19/11 16:28 CDT, John Curran wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2011, at 5:17 PM, David Farmer wrote:
>
>>> Besides, doesn't this language prevent inter-region address transfer
>>> due to mergers or acquisitions? If I want to buy a web hosting shop
>>> and move it off shore, why should I be denied?
>>
>> I don't remember inter-regional M&A coming up before,

Additionally, there has been NO discussion of Inter-regional transfers
of ASNs or IPv6 by the community, which is also implied in 8.2 and not
allowed under 8.3 as it is currently.  Therefore, I think inter-regional
M&A should be considered as a separate subject so we can explore all of
it implications.

>> but from discussion with Staff last week it appears this has been some small demand for this for a while now.  However, its not clear to me that most of the community was think of this issue when we discussed inter-regional transfers.  That's not to say we shouldn't, but I'm just not sure we should try to do it all in one bite anyway.
>
> International M&A transactions often don't appear to be interregional,
> because the acquiring parties often have business units in our region
> which actually end up being the acquiring business unit.  As long as
> the infrastructure making use of the addresses is being acquired as
> well, the processing of these requests is relatively routine (and is
> generally between in-region businesses, even if one is held entirely
> by an international firm.)

Thank you for clarifying John.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952