[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Oct 19 17:28:09 EDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 5:17 PM, David Farmer wrote:

>> Besides, doesn't this language prevent inter-region address transfer
>> due to mergers or acquisitions? If I want to buy a web hosting shop
>> and move it off shore, why should I be denied?
>
> I don't remember inter-regional M&A coming up before, but from discussion with Staff last week it appears this has been some small demand for this for a while now.  However, its not clear to me that most of the community was think of this issue when we discussed inter-regional transfers.  That's not to say we shouldn't, but I'm just not sure we should try to do it all in one bite anyway.

International M&A transactions often don't appear to be interregional,
because the acquiring parties often have business units in our region
which actually end up being the acquiring business unit.  As long as
the infrastructure making use of the addresses is being acquired as
well, the processing of these requests is relatively routine (and is
generally between in-region businesses, even if one is held entirely
by an international firm.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran