[arin-ppml] ARIN Multiple Discrete Networks Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 3 12:56:51 EDT 2011

On Oct 3, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> I am claiming "geographic distance and diversity between networks" as a
> compelling reason to implement unique routing policies.

Do you have a compelling reason to implement _discrete_ networks
or simply unique routing policies?  You have again equated the
two, despite lack of any policy language which supports that.

As written, the policy doesn't provide any basis for consideration
of the routing as a basis for _discrete networks_. There is a basis
for viewing regulatory restrictions for data transmission, geographic
distance and diversity requirements, and autonomous multihomed
discrete networks as being compelling reasons for discrete networks:

Regulatory restrictions for data transmission:
  "While I do have what appears to be a single network, I've already
   allocated address blocks to my POPs which I cannot rearrange and
   I cannot transit traffic between these two sets of POP due to
   regulatory restrictions... Hence, we consider those two sets of
   POPs to be discrete networks."

Geographic distance and diversity requirements:
  "While I do have what appears to be a single network, I've already
   allocated address blocks to my POPs which I cannot rearrange and
   I cannot transit traffic between these two sets of POP due to
   the geographic distance and latency would result, and/or the lack
   of redundancy in the my services that would result... Hence, we
   consider those two sets of POPs to be discrete networks."

Autonomous multihomed discrete networks:
  "While I do have what appears to be a single network, I've already
   allocated address blocks to my POPs which I cannot rearrange and
   I cannot transit traffic between these two sets of POP due to
   those POPS belonging to another autonomous business unit which
   coordinates with us for purposes of getting space but we do not
   have the ability to make use of their infrastructure. Hence, we
   consider those two sets of POPs to be discrete networks."

*These are all COMPELLING REASONS for treating the infrastructure as
having _discrete networks_ precisely because they preclude the use of
network routing to make the existing allocation serve all of the POPs.*

If you can make use of your existing address allocations to meet your
needs, only with some routing impact as a result, you lack a compelling
reason to have your infrastructure treated as _discrete networks_.  If
you do not like this implementation of the MDN policy, feel free to
submit a change to policy to match your desired outcome.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN