[arin-ppml] ARIN Multiple Discrete Networks Policy

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Oct 1 11:29:55 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 01:11:52PM +0000, John Curran wrote:

> Reason #2 is the difficulty, whereas ARIN staff has to effectively
> make a judgement of the "compelling" criteria based on 3 illustrative
> examples.  I recommend that the policy be so that there is a clear
> technical definition of "discrete network" is added to the policy, and
> further that any organization which has multiple "discrete networks"
> would qualify for use of the policy, regardless of the compelling or
> otherwise reasoning behind their architectural decision.

Ok so, your current position is that matching an example from the
specifically defined list of example compelling reasons is not a
compelling reason, because of an exclusionary rule which doesn't exist
anywhere in the policy (namely that you can't possibly solve the problem
with deaggregation) that you're making up on the spot? A policy which,
furthermore, would exclude nearly every MDN applicant if it was actually
applied to anyone else. Can you explain how this is anything other than
a blatant refusal to honor the policy as written?