[arin-ppml] ARIN Multiple Discrete Networks Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Oct 1 08:17:36 EDT 2011

On Oct 1, 2011, at 1:11 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 03:15:20AM +0000, John Curran wrote:
>>
>> I did not say that it has no effect on aggregation.  I said that the
>> point of the policy is not to improve aggregation; the policy exists
>> to allow organizations to readily obtain address space as a single
>> organization under criteria applicable when there are multiple
>> discrete networks for a compelling reason.
>> I'd recommend either redefining "multiple discrete networks" to have a
>> clear technical definition in the policy, or refining the existing
>> examples so one of them directly meets your specific needs (e.g.
>> removal of the term "autonomous" or changing it to an AS reference
>> instead.)
>
> Ok, let me see if I can summarize this.
>
> You're saying that if someone has a compelling reason for running
> multiple discrete networks, it means that they are incapable of
> announcing their single allocation as an aggregate, and therefore need
> the MDN policy to provide multiple blocks which they CAN announce as
> aggregates.

Incorrect. If an organization has a compelling reason (along the lines
of the provided examples) for creating multiple discrete networks and
desires to request new or additional address space under a single
Organization ID, then it can request space under the MDN criteria.

> You then go on to say that if someone benefits from the aggregation
> being provided in the previous statement, since aggregation is not an
> intended effect of the policy they therefore don't qualify to use it.

Incorrect. You have repeatedly asserted that position (that intended
effect of the policy is aggregation) whereas I have had to clarify each
time that aggregation effects are side-effects of the policy, rather
than criteria for qualification or disqualification of its use.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO