[arin-ppml] Advisory Council seeks additional commentary on PP-158

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Nov 11 18:27:13 EST 2011

On 11/11/11 17:12 CST, William Herrin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Martin Hannigan<hannigan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Anything to add to the discussion of this policy proposal? There were
>> 82 messages related to the actual issue that had sparked this review
>> and subsequent edit. The primary theme of supporters was that ARIN
>> staff incorrectly interpreted the policy. The opposition weighed in
>> exactly inverse. Support slightly outweighed opposition on the
>> interpretation issue. As far as I can tell, there was ZERO discussion
>> about the resulting proposal after it was posted. Corrections or
>> additional suggestions welcome.
>
> Hi Marty,
>
> I don't remember the original "misinterpretation" of the MDN policy.
> Can you provide a pointer to that discussion?

I believe the thread in question starts with this email;
http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2011-September/023235.html

> The way it read (to me) before the change was that a compelling need
> was something like one of the enumerated cases. The way it reads after
> the change is that compelling need is not defined but a discrete
> network is something like one of the enumerated cases. Is that the
> intent?
>
> When practical, renumbering sections is worth avoiding. We've built up
> a mass of historical commentary on ARIN policy that refers to it by
> section. When the section numbers are reused for something different,
> it can confuse later analysis of that commentary.

That is good feedback.

However, do you believe this is something we should be working on?
If so, then is this text useful to start working with?

Or in other words, do you think this is something the AC should put on
the docket or not?

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952