[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Revised Assessment

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:10:45 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
>>> As called by the Chair, the poll was "making such corrections as may
>>> be necessary".  I agree that the intent of the poll was characterized
>>> earlier as advancing to last call with "tweaks" or "minor changes"; it
>>> is left to each community member to consider whether making changes to
>>> the text for clarification purposes (as opposed to policy substance)
>>> was included in the guidance provided to the ARIN AC.
>>
>> I reviewed the video of the session this afternoon to clarify. The
>> question asked and polled was specifically "do we favor it being put
>> to last call with the advisory council making language tweaks".
>> Additionally, a participant stood up and clearly asked the meeting
>> Chair to clarify the question on a wider scale, if we were approving a
>> rewrite and that a rewrite was totally different than what was being
>> asked. The meeting Chair opted to keep the focus on language tweaks
>> and not restate the question. The recording is painfully clear with
>> respect to intent. Tweaks, not rewrite.
>
> Martin -
>
>  Yes, I also reviewed the video, and hence my remark about the
>  scope of what was recommended being a judgement of each member
>  of the community.  Your characterization above is incorrect,
>  as the definition of what constitutes a tweak was left open
>  intentionally, and furthermore because the motion language
>  was language provided by Owen Delong and simply indicated
>  correcting the draft policy and moving it to last call.
>
>  Regarding "tweaks", you point out that participant stood up
>  and said the value of "tweaks" was a little undefined.  You
>  failed mention that Chair found this to be an acceptable state
>  and replied  "Yes, I understand the value of tweaks is less
>  than perfectly defined."  Given a chance to specifically
>  restrict define the scope of "tweaks", this was not done.

[ clip ]

>  To the extent that there's some policy aspects of the rewrite
>  that go beyond addressing the issues raised in the PPM, it is
>  important that they be called out to the community during this
>  last call period.  So far, it is not apparent that the revised
>  draft policy is materially different from version presented at
>  PPM (with appropriate corrections for the issues discussed.)

We can agree to disagree. The participants comment asked for
clarification and called them "much different" and the Chair agreed.
The intent of the room was from the collegiate definition of the word,
not the ARIN definitions, which are typically vague at best. :-)

That we're down to viewing video and arguing about tonal inflections
is problematic in itself. The meeting results are invalid and should
be treated as such. The widespread opposition to the policy
demonstrated on the list is more sustainable with respect to both the
process and the policy as well as the desires of the membership of
ARIN.  Hopefully, we can move on to the list conversation. You don't
really have to agree with me here.

Best,

-M<

Best,