[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Revised Assessment

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 13:35:02 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> The second was "Those in favor of moving 2011-1 to last call and
>>> making such corrections as may be necessary" with 124 people
>>> present & remote; the results were 24 in favor and 17 against.
>>> Minutes of the ARIN XXVIII Public Policy Meeting are available here:
>>> <https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXVIII/ppm2_transcript.html>
>>
>> To further clarify that, the intent as presented was moving to last
>> call "with tweaks". Not a rewrite of the entire proposal.
>
> As called by the Chair, the poll was "making such corrections as may
> be necessary".  I agree that the intent of the poll was characterized
> earlier as advancing to last call with "tweaks" or "minor changes"; it
> is left to each community member to consider whether making changes to
> the text for clarification purposes (as opposed to policy substance)
> was included in the guidance provided to the ARIN AC.

I reviewed the video of the session this afternoon to clarify. The
question asked and polled was specifically "do we favor it being put
to last call with the advisory council making language tweaks".
Additionally, a participant stood up and clearly asked the meeting
Chair to clarify the question on a wider scale, if we were approving a
rewrite and that a rewrite was totally different than what was being
asked. The meeting Chair opted to keep the focus on language tweaks
and not restate the question. The recording is painfully clear with
respect to intent. Tweaks, not rewrite.

There's little value in continuing to defend the process any longer
and we ought to not waste any more time on it. The AC, or the BoT,
should throw the meeting results out to mitigate this particular issue
and proceed with the list comments as the basis of moving forward or
not instead.

Best,

-M<