[arin-ppml] Petition draft 2011-1 last call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Nov 7 22:05:17 EST 2011

On Nov 7, 2011, at 7:25 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

This needs work, but support.

I am curious about one thing. Where does ARIN derive its authority over legacy addresses?

Not just legal blustering, a real codified reference.

Martin -

  ARIN assumed full responsibility for the Internet Protocol (IP) number assignments
  and related administrative tasks previously managed under the InterNIC program,
  and this specifically includes responsibility for the existing legacy assignments.
  As a result, users of IP numbers now have a voice in the policies by which they
  are allocated and managed (to the extent that they wish to exercise that voice in
  the policy process.)   There are quite a few references to this transition, e.g. NSF's
  press release here: <http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=102819>

  FYI - We are going to count your email as a statement of support for the petition;
  if you meant otherwise or change your mind, just send an appropriate message.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO