[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-9 (Global Proposal): Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 1 14:48:12 EDT 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> All this proposal does is insure that no addresses ever get returned
> from the ARIN pool unless the ARIN BoT and staff act unilaterally,
> which is the undesired side effect of adopting this proposal.

I'm not sure that is an accurate characterization of draft policy
ARIN-2011-9; you seem to be highlighting aspects of a different
policy (ARIN-2011-6) which has already been adopted.

The present status today (because of the adoption of policy 2011-6)
is that address space returned to ARIN will not be returned to the
global pool but will be made available for use in the region.  If
ARIN-2011-9 is adopted, it would trigger the preemption clause that
is in policy 2011-6 and once again allow the ARIN Board to make the
determination regarding disposition of any returned address space.
ARIN-2011-9 would also (if adopted in similar form by the other RIRs)
would establish a procedure at the IANA for handling of returned IPv4
address space.

FYI,
/John

John Curran