[arin-ppml] Fee structures for ARIN

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue Nov 1 08:50:37 EDT 2011

On 2011-10-31, at 06:31, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2011, at 12:22 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding here how an NS record covering
>>> a /32 is going to consume more than an NS record covering a /48.
>>>
>>> Can you please explain that one to me?
>>
>> Which record would say is requested more frequently?
>>
>> com NS or delong.com NS?
>
> Depends on the server. My nameservers answer many more queries for
> DELONG.COM. I'm guessing that the GTLD-SERVERS also answer more
> queries for DELONG.COM (since they really shouldn't see queries for
> COM NS most of the time). OTOH, the ROOT-SERVERS probably see
> far more queries for COM and almost none for DELONG.COM.

You're both wrong, since the analogy is poorly constructed. :)

The NS records for a /32 and a /48 delegated by ARIN are at the same level in the tree, whereas DELONG.COM and .COM are not.  The better question is, what is more often queried, DELONG.COM or POUNSETT.COM?  And that depends entirely on the use of the zones.   Likewise, whether ARIN receives queries more often for the /32 or the /48 depends on the uses of the net blocks.  And since both are cached identically, the chances that any difference has a measurable difference in impact on ARIN's servers is small enough to be not worth discussion.