[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-153 Correct erroneous syntax in NRPM 8.3

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun May 29 07:01:45 EDT 2011

On May 29, 2011, at 1:20 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> As the general principles in 4.1.8 may easily be read to allow a party to
>> request a transfer of a smaller block due to availability, and your intent
>> is clearly to disallow such, it might be best to clarify that point when
>> changing the syntax to require transfers in the exact amount the documented
>> need of the recipient.
>>
> I'd appreciate it if staff can provide words that would do that. It is my
> reading of the language in 153 that it says exactly that. Since it sounds
> like staff has a different reading, I think I have made the intent clear
> and will instead request that staff provide language that will have
> the desired effect.

Owen -

The language in ARIN-prop-153 is clear enough, but it is not when read with
the general concepts in 4.1.8 and their potential application to specified
transfers under your proposal, in particular:

  - Does the requesting organization have the option to specify the
    transfer of a smaller block than their need, as long as it is
    equal to or larger than the applicable minimum size specified
    elsewhere in ARIN policy?

  From your response, I believe your intent is "No".

This point will be readily argued by those requesting transfers (by pointing
to the text in 4.1.8) unless otherwise directly addressed in your proposal.
It could be as simple as adding a statement to 153 that "An organization may
not receive a smaller block than their documented need."

Note that we would still apply the remainder of the 4.1.8 regarding disallowing
repeated requests as a means of circumvention, i.e. an organization may only
receive one transfer every 3 months, but ARIN, at its sole discretion, may waive
this requirement if the requester can document a change in circumstances since
their last request that could not have been reasonably foreseen at the time of
the original request, and which now justifies additional space.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO