[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-153 Correct erroneous syntax in NRPM 8.3

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri May 27 19:25:20 EDT 2011

On May 28, 2011, at 1:09 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Given the time ARIN takes to evaluate and turn around a request, I don't think that's actually true. I also
> trust that staff would become suspicious and investigate such situations appropriately as well.

What's "suspicious" about it? I tell ARIN "look, I need 660,000 addresses... I found someone with that many, but they're in a bunch of different blocks. Over the next few hours you'll be getting a bunch of transfer request forms with associated justification"

"Here's my justification that I need 660,000 addresses... which of course also justifies the 65536 for this /16"

"Here's my justification that I still need over 594k addresses... which of course is sufficient to justify the 131072 for this /15"

"Here's my justification that I still need over 463k addresses... which of course is sufficient to justify the 512 for this /23"

And so on and so on until they get down to the last block.

Nothing suspicious, nothing that violates the policy, just a big waste of time for all three parties involved.

I think this is one case where the staff outsmarted the AC for a good reason.

Matthew Kaufman