[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-152 RSA Modification Limits

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 27 16:57:36 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 9:31 AM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-152 RSA Modification Limits

> All transfers conducted under section 8 of the NRPM shall require the
> recipient to sign an RSA which provides at least the same limitations
> and restrictions as the standard RSA that would be used with any new
> allocation or assignment of number resources in at least the following
> areas:
>
>  a. Justified Need Requirements
>  b. Subject to and Effect of NRPM 12
>  c. Requirement for an annual fee to be paid
>  d. Subject to future policy revisions adopted by the community
>
> The above requirements may be waived to the extent necessary to meet a
> court order or settlement, but, such court order must be public or such
> settlement must include terms allowing the settlement terms to be
> published by ARIN, including the list of affected addresses and the
> exact resulting RSA. ARIN shall publish the terms of any such settlement
> and the resulting RSA within 10 days of drafting the settlement or RSA
> whichever comes later.

Opposed.

For one thing, section 8.2 transfers occur because an organization and
its network has new ownership. The organization hasn't changed. It's
not even necessarily a transfer, it may just be a name change. The RSA
rules belong under section 8.3 only, which is where we thought we had
them.

For another, this language is needlessly verbose. "The recipient of an
8.3 transfer shall sign and adhere to the same RSA as a recipient of
number resources under NRPM section 4." Nothing more needs be said.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004