[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-151 Limiting Needs Requirements for IPv4 Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 25 12:06:46 EDT 2011

On May 24, 2011, at 11:03 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On May 25, 2011, at 4:46 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>

>> On May 24, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kevin,
>>>
>>> But the big boys are limited to a /12 each.
>>
>> Uh, no, they're limited to a /12 per organization they create.
>
> Come on. If they're going to game the system by creating multiple orgs to beat the /12 rule, they'll also game the system by using their extensive experience working with ARIN to pass needs assessment tests, or create new fake multihomed orgs and use their untestable 3-month need to get a bunch of space, or lots of other things.

Perhaps, but, I think this is actually less likely and many of those actions are obviously fraud.

> And either *all* of those are fraud, or none of them are.

I disagree. If the rule you make is a /12 per organization, then, there's nothing fraudulent about creating organizations.

On the other hand, under current policy, most of the things you described to circumvent current policy are, indeed, fraud.

Owen