[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-151 Limiting Needs Requirements for IPv4 Transfers

John Springer springer at inlandnet.com
Tue May 24 23:34:36 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

Brrrr, this is growing massive already. I'll try to edit judiciously.

On Tue, 24 May 2011, Mike Burns wrote:

>>> One thing that I have seen a lot of lately is asserting that something
>>> happened _for_a_particular_reason_, and then using that _reason_ as a
>>> launching pad. WRT the above, I agree that needs testing was imposed, but
>>> saying that it was a requirement, which is why we imposed it seems
>>> circular.
>
> I have tried to show that having some constraint was an absolute minimum
> requirement, and that a needs-based justification was the steward's softest
> touch which would meet the goals of conservation and aggregation.

Was and is. Needs basis remains despite suggestions that recent events
have obliterated it.

>>> Check.

>>> Not so much check. We could restate this in reverse with equally valid
>>> effect: We have needs testing to drive addresses toward efficient use, so
>>> we don't need to be allowing them to be priced.
>
> You could say exactly that.
> Indeed, we did have needs testing to drive addresses toward efficient use, so
> we did not need to price them.

And we still do and we still don't.

> Except that only works for allocations from the free pool, and we have
> already decided to price them for transfers.

Not proven and not you and me, surely!

> My proposal is meant to be considered in an environment with priced
> addresses, like our current one.

The proposal is being considered in a place that Gibson called "a
consensual hallucination". Statements like the above may or my not have
less semantic content than you think here, at least yet.

>>> Don't think so. I know you keep saying so, but IIRC the STLS allows the
>>> right to transfer the right to use, presumably, but not necessarily for a
>>> consideration. Seems to me there is a lot of care exercised to be sure
>>> that the phrasing does not give even the appearance of sell and buy.
>
> I agree the text looks like the tortured work of a group nearly evenly split
> between allowing transfers for money and not allowing them.
> Yes, clearly there is no requirement for payment for transfers.
> But we already have a $7.5 million dollar example of an ARIN-blessed 8.3
> transfer.
> Which I take to mean that we are already in the trading-for-money world.

When did we leave? I thought I talked to you about drawing conclusions
from the MS/NN deal.

>>> Would be. Maybe. Among other things. Happy to talk about it.
>
> OK, my assertion is that holding other conditions constant, raising the price
> of a commodity leads to more efficient use of it.
> Like, I figure that there is less left uneaten on the plate at Ruth's Chris
> than there is at Sizzlers, in general, because people don't like to waste
> expensive things.
> (There must have been some psychological test run at some point to test my
> hypothesis, I will see if I can find one.)
> (And I suppose the taste of a Ruth's Chris steak is not constant with the
> taste of a Sizzlers steak.)

And you chide me on my analogy/illustration/metaphor/whositz.

>>> Maybe not, if we were absolutely determined that at all costs the needs
>>> test had to go. But we have not so determined. You propose that this is
>>> desireable and are experiencing some discussion. Not everyone agrees.
>
> I guess I should say if  you accept the general notion that increased value
> leads to decreased waste,

It might be time to slow here because I don't necessarily accept general
notions. It is hard to tell the context of this conjecture from the
proceeding text.

> then address space will trend towards meeting the
> goal of conservation as it obtains monetary value.

This is almost poetry, and I almost understand what you mean, my soul
almost begins to soar, but no.

>>> Here again: some stewards _MAY_ be considering that it might be better if
>>> existing uses of addresses be prefered to proposed and possibly
>>> undesirable uses. I would think YOU have to justify convincingly the
>>> advantages of previously prohibited practices, not just assert repeatedly
>>> those advantages.
>
> Yes, I agree the proposer of a policy change has the burden of having to
> justifiably convince others before any change should be effected.

Well, good. I'll just note that Owen disclaims any such getting it into
their heads.

regards

John Springer