[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-151 Limiting Needs Requirements for IPv4 Transfers

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:45:44 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

<snip>

> So the stewards chose needs-testing of applicants, with the idea that we
> want allocated addresses put into actual and efficient use, and this method
> of constraint would serve those goals.

It will still serve those goals (admirably IMO) even when the costs go
up.  Allocations have always cost money in a "market".  The "market"
(as in the place to go to when you need something) has in recent years
been your friendly RIR.

> Now, however, we do not need needs-testing to drive addresses towards
> efficient use, because we are allowing them to be priced, and that is a
> fundamental difference.

Priced higher (probably) you mean.  I contend that "needs-testing" is
still a useful mechanism even when the RIR has nothing left to
allocate or assign.

--
Cheers,

McTim