[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Mon May 23 17:00:44 EDT 2011

>>And still in the real world, if the addresses continue to be usable after
>>the sale, these sales WILL happen, and Whois accuracy will be lost.

Hi Owen,

>And here is the crux of the matter. Will the addresses continue to be
>usable?

>What would prevent ARIN from registering them to someone else after
>removing
>the records for the original holder who clearly abandoned them from the
>database
>per ARIN policy?

Nothing except a claim of tortious interference in a contract, I would
guess.
If you reread my last post, I clearly state that this is an option ARIN
has, to reissue to another allocant and have Whois list the new allocant.
ARIN controls Whois.

>What will ensure that ISPs remain willing to route those addresses to the
>purchaser
>outside of policy vs. the third party now registered in the RIR database?

You are correct, this is the crux of the matter.
ARIN has no control over network operators, and who is to say what they will
do?
Will they band together and make pariahs out of anybody who routes in
contravention to Whois data?
Will they look to another routing authority, like another registry?
Will they rely on their own review of chain-of-custody documents?
Will they solicit a CYA document, route the addresses, and pocket the
revenue from the connection?
Maybe we need some more information on this. Do carrier ToS announcements
state any requirement to match Whois?
I can understand the reluctance people to speak on this issue, though.

>Do you not believe that this uncertainty would actually serve as a
>disincentive
>to these sales? Again, I think you need to make it clear what, exactly, you
>think
>is being sold in the real world in these instances of sales that you
>propose.

>Owen

Yes, the uncertainty will devalue the addresses and the normal incentive
would be to have the addresses registered.
But then again, if network operators continue to route addresses with Whois
mismatches, then maybe those addresses become even more valuable, as it
becomes clearer that those addresses are not subject to ARIN's dues, fees,
and needs requirements.
It comes down to what the network operators decide to do, and whether ARIN
would have the confidence to reissue ip addresses known to have control
conflicts to some hapless applicant.

Regards,
Mike