[arin-ppml] Integrating Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1 into NRPM 8.3

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:54:40 EDT 2011

In light of the discomfort a number of community and AC members feel with
the original 2011-1 text, I thought I'd make an attempt at integrating it
into the framework of NRPM 8.3, to see if the result would be tighter and
less ambiguous.  Here's what I came up with:

8.3. Transfers to Specified Recipients

In addition to transfers under section 8.2, IPv4 number resources may be
released to ARIN by the authorized resource holder, in whole or in part, for
transfer:

   - to a specified organizational recipient within the ARIN region, or
   - to another RIR, for transfer to a specified organizational recipient in
   that RIR's service region, if the two RIRs agree and maintain compatible,
   needs-based transfer policies.

Such transferred number resources may only be received under RSA by
organizations that can demonstrate the need for such resources, as a single
aggregate, in the exact amount which they can justify under current ARIN
policies.

Thoughts?
-Scott

For reference, existing policy reads:
8.3. Transfers to Specified Recipients

In addition to transfers under section 8.2, IPv4 number resources within the
ARIN region may be released to ARIN by the authorized resource holder, in
whole or in part, for transfer to another specified organizational
recipient. Such transferred number resources may only be received under RSA
by organizations that are within the ARIN region and can demonstrate the
need for such resources, as a single aggregate, in the exact amount which
they can justify under current ARIN policies.

And original 2011-1 text reads:
Any RIR's resource registrant may transfer IPv4 addresses to the resource
registrant of another RIR as long as the two RIRs agree and maintain
compatible, needs-based transfer policies that exercise Internet stewardship
consistent with the values expressed in RFC2050.