[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon May 23 15:31:05 EDT 2011

On May 23, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> It looks to me like precisely what he was saying when you parse his statement to get rid of extraneous information:
>
> "ARIN has never had an agreement that would give it authority over legacy addresses."
>
> Do you quibble with my parsing?

Indeed.  To be accurate:

In 2006, ARIN did not have an agreement with UUNET (or other legacy
address holders) which would give it authority over their specific
legacy addresses.

> If I was allocated legacy space and never signed an LRSA, would it be illegal for me to sell those addresses to Company A?

What *exactly* would you allegedly be selling to Company A?  You
have already indicated that it is not related to Whois, so do you
believe it is related to Company A's ability to use those numbers
in the Internet?

> If Company A tried to route those addresses, would that be illegal?

Not to the best of my knowledge (regardless of the status at ARIN
and/or whatever Company A thinks they bought from you...)

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN