[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun May 22 01:04:22 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> Hi McTim,
>
> I don't see the slippery slope.

Can you at least recognise that different regions are at different
places with respect to the degree of monetisation their policies
allow?

In the AfriNIC region, for example, their is no transfer policy.

> IPv4 addresses have *already* been monetized.

Yes, since the beginning of the RIR system, where for the first time,
money changed hands in order to obtain IP resources.

> In the near future, once the free pool has exhausted, the only way to get
> IPv4 addresses will be to pay for them.

or get in line with your RIR, but you  still have to pay the RIR for
services/membership.

> We can bemoan the fact, but we can't change that fact in any way I can see
> or that you have proposed.
> Let's not setup a false dichotomy, as in pass my proposal and face the
> monetized IPv4 market, don't  pass my proposal and somehow the deep pockets
> don't win.
> With ARIN's existing policy, the deep pockets will still beat the shallow
> pockets.

see Owen's reply downthread.

> The fundamental problem I have with your post is that you fail to recognize
> the significant game-changer that is exhaust.

there is no failure on my part.  I see it, but we just disagree on how
to react to it.

> If you have read what I have written, you will find no mention of monetizing
> IPv6, and really there was no movement towards monetizing IPv4 until the
> brick wall of exhaust nearly hit us in the nose.

Apologies if I accused you of trying to monetise v6, I don't think I
implied that.  What I implied was that ppl will say "If I can trade
v4, why can't I trade v6".  There have been many attempts over the
years to further monetise v4.  Policy in various regions has stopped
that.  Now you want to change policy.  I (and many others) disagree
that this is a useful way forward.

See Owen's reply downthread which applies to the the rest of your
post.  My responses are substantially the same as his, so no need for
me to reiterate them.

--
Cheers,

McTim