[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Springer springer at inlandnet.com
Fri May 20 18:55:56 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

I am going to rearrange the top post down under the message to which you
are replying, for clarity, after which I will comment upon your reply, in
line. I'm getting closer to the point of replying to the actual proposal
which has a different subject line.

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Mike Burns wrote:
<cut>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Springer" <springer at inlandnet.com>

<paste>

> Hi John,
>
> I am being assailed with claims that very very few transactions will
> occur which will not meet the ARIN needs requirements.
> And requests for proof that these transactions have, and will, occur.

I noticed, but not by me, and maybe so, but such claims and requests are
orthogonal to my objection. I do hear you say though, that you are
responding to my objections by replying to those other claims.

> The facts of the matter have been laid out, and all I said was that this
> alignment with ex-post-facto need determination and the already negotiated
> sale was fortuitous.

Point taken. My response is that your point is not germane to my
objection.

> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/051111-nortel-ipv4-sale.html

This is all typical trade press bloviation; guesses, speculation, and all
equally immaterial. No one cited in that article demonstrates more facts
than you, and all have less than Curran. It is very embarrassing to me to
be so publicly and obviously unable to convey the concept: "The detailed
facts as to whether ARIN policy was followed WRT the MS/NN transfer are
not and will not be known in time to matter to this proposal". However, no
amount of speculation, guessing, inferring or wishing by any amount of
people can possibly provide sufficient grounds for making policy removing
justified need, IMO.

ARIN policy followed vs I don't think so, CANNOT BE PROVED OR DISPROVED AT
THIS TIME. This is what non-falsifiable means. It means that continuing to
assert otherwise is not science or logic, but unsupported denial. It does
no good to continue to assert/suggest/rebut/inuend or not understand.
There must be other reasons to support the proposal that we get rid of
needs assessment, because the volume of posts is very large. Please use
them. Exclusively. Because this one is no good. Seriously. Perhaps I
am incurring additional well deserved opprobrium by not recognizing that
you have conceded this single point.

> Per the article above, I am not by any means alone in my perception that
the
> MS/Nortel deal very easily could have occurred outside ARIN's purview
had not
> the crucial factor of the needs analysis been met.

MS and Nortel could also very easily have occured some other irrelevant
nonsense and it would have had equivalent bearing on the question "Was
ARIN policy followed?", which was and is just about the only subject of my
post. "Not ... alone in my perception" is more bandwagon fallacy,
Argumentum ad populum. Just because there are several of you who assert
similar things does not prove the assertions.

> Nothing that I said in the paragraph you reference is contrary to John
> Curran's answer about the MS/Nortel deal, nor does it involve NDA
> information.

Let's examine this statement:
>>> As to Microsoft planning leading them to purchasing the same exact
need as
>>> ARIN's particular application of its policies at the time of the
>>> transaction?
>>> Please.

This has no value or meaning to me other than to dispute that ARIN policy
was followed.

>>> Remember that Microsoft was an arms-length negotiator who was
solicited by
>>> the address broker in the deal along with 80 other companies.
>>> So Microsoft's planning was so excellent that they could find the
exact
>>> amount of addresses they needed in the form of the very first public
sale
>>> of legacy addresses ever recorded?
>>> That's believable!

This has no value or meaning to me other than to dispute that ARIN policy
was followed.

>>> And their excellent planning staff, whose decision so exactly matched
>>> ARIN's ex-post-facto analysis, failed to inform management that they
could
>>> save $7.5 million by getting them directly from ARIN?

This has no value or meaning to me other than to dispute that ARIN policy
was followed.

So, your statement was correct in that what you said does not involve NDA
information. The rest of your statement was incorrect though, in that it
is all intended to refute John Curran's statement that ARIN policy was
followed WRT to the MS/NN deal. Which I'm sure you have noticed by now, I
assert may not be actually done with the information currently available.

> The deal was made and negotiated prior to ARIN's involvement, and should
> other such deals occur, if their needs requirement is not recognized by ARIN,
> the deal goes down off the books.

Are you going to come right out and say that you do think you can PROVE
that ARIN policy was not followed WRT to the MS/NN deal. Because that is
what is implied in all of these otherwise meaningless assertions.

> And I reiterate that ARIN head Plzak
> declared that ARIN does not control legacy addresses. That means to me
at the
> very least that legacy deals can be done without notifying ARIN, and if
> notifying ARIN requires the transactors to undergo a needs test, and not
> notifying ARIN has little cost in terms of routabilty, then the
transaction
> will occur and the community will be in the dark.

This is getting hard(er) to follow. Are you saying that Ray was involved
with the MS/NN transfer? If not, any statements that he made while he was
CEO and/or President must necessarily not be informed by any FACTS of the
current matter, as he stepped down some time ago. And if he is privy to
facts not in evidence now, I fail to see how that relates to a statement
he made long ago.

As far as the "That means to me" section (unclipped text above):

if "deals can be done without notifying ARIN"
OK, so I hear.

andif "not notifying ARIN has little cost in terms of routabilty"
I have heard a lot of hypotheticals about this, maybe yes, maybe no, but
say OK.

"then the transaction will occur and the community will be in the dark."
I suppose that is possible. But the subject line of this thread
notwithstanding, I thought you removed any Whois related rationale from
this proposal. And that this proposal was only about removing the needs
assessment and exempting proposed transferers from section 12 jeopardy.
This section does not seem to have anything to do with either of those
proposals.

> Regards,
> Mike

regards,