[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Fri May 20 15:56:13 EDT 2011

Hello to the list,

Per what Tom wrote at the bottom, I am all for considering the consequences
of my proposal, intended or otherwise.

So I believe the consequences we have considered, and please add to this
list if you want, are:

1. Market distortions will happen due to the selfish actions of speculators,
including market cornering attempts.
2. Disaggregation will increase.
3. It is too radical a change, and change should appropriately come
incrementally, like extending the length of the needs window.
4. It will make it easier for bad players like spammers to get addresses.
5. It will run the risk of actually making Whois less accurate.
6. Addresses will be used less efficiently if we only rely on price to drive
their productive use.

I figure we have addressed these issues enough, and that we are rehashing
discussions to no additional benefit.

And I have had the opportunity to address the intentions of the policy
proposal, which are:

1. Provides an incentive for more transactions to be registered by ARIN
2. Provides an incentive for legacy space to be brought under RSA
3. Provides for explicit protections against review audits for RSA holders
after one year, bringing RSA rights more in accord with LRSA rights.
4. Reduces transaction costs for transferers
5. Reduces ARIN costs for needs analyses
6. Aligns ARIN policy with most possible interpretations of the legal rights
of legacy holders
7. Imposes a yearly limit on needs-free transactions intended to prevent
cornering.

And likewise we have fairly addressed these issues.

Without considering (any more) the merits of those prior discussions, I
would like to invite the consideration of any other potential benefits or
consequences which we have not discussed.
I am cognizant that this is proposal is a significant departure, and that
the discussion of similar policy in APNIC consumed several years.
I think we have covered pretty much all the bases in our relatively short
but active discussion period, but I agree with Tom that we really should
stretch our minds to consider all the potential pitfalls.
So did we miss anything, or is there anything left to be said on the topics
arrayed above? Any large loopholes or gotchas? Risks or threats we haven't
considered?
Maybe the increased/decreased exposure of ARIN to lawsuits?

(I will admit to enjoying reading my own words. But as they are growing
tiresome to me, they must be coma-inducing to you by now.)

Of course I don't mean to cutoff any discussions about any topic, if you
think there is more to add.

Regards,
Mike