[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Springer springer at inlandnet.com
Thu May 19 19:31:57 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

Not ready to opine on the proposal yet but I am going to quote and reply
to one section of this particular post. Down below.

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Mike Burns wrote:

> As to Microsoft planning leading them to purchasing the same exact need as ARIN's particular application of its policies at the time of the transaction?
> Please.
> Remember that Microsoft was an arms-length negotiator who was solicited by the address broker in the deal along with 80 other companies.
> So Microsoft's planning was so excellent that they could find the exact amount of addresses they needed in the form of the very first public sale of legacy addresses ever recorded?
> That's believable!
> And their excellent planning staff, whose decision so exactly matched ARIN's ex-post-facto analysis, failed to inform management that they could save $7.5 million by getting them directly from ARIN?

This is, IMO, of limited utility. To reiterate, the question of whether or
not the MS/NN transfer followed ARIN policy was, IIRC, asked by several
and answered rather authoritatively by Curran. The actual detailed facts
of the matter are unlikely to be known. Or perhaps, as you point out,
there is an NDA with a time limit. Are the detailed facts of the matter so
critical that we should wait until they are knowable before deciding on
this policy proposal? If not, further assertions such as the above can be
true as the night and still be logically useless when trying to refute
something that is so completely non-falsifiable. Continuing to put forward
such comments only serves to shift attention from otherwise mostly logical
and considerable remarks to ones that are neither.

Just sayin'.

John Springer