[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu May 19 17:42:03 EDT 2011

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Making policy which brings more supply into the market will reduce prices
> for the big guy and the little guy.
> One element of my proposal is removing the threat of ARIN recovery action
> for RSA holders.
> My hope is that this will provide the incentive for holders of
> underutilized
> assets to sell them without a fear of an audit.
> I think that big companies probably have the edge in gaming needs
> analyses;
> whether or not they would use that edge is of course an open question.
> But simplifiying transactions, as my proposal attempts to do, favors the
> small guy, IMO.

Hi Kevin,

>So you are telling me that if I go to a trader and buy a /20 block of IP's
>it will cost me less than it does if I go to ARIN and get a /20 block of
>IP's?  hmm..  that doesn't leave much incentive for the >trader..

>Please pardon my skepticism..

Something has been lost in the translation, I am not saying anything of the
sort.
I am saying that once exhaust is reached, you will not be able to go to ARIN
and get a /20.
You will have to purchase a /20 from somebody.
What I am saying is by reducing the fear of an audit, sellers are more
likely to put their addresses up for sale.
And when you have an increase in supply, price drops.
It's the price drop that will help the little guy.

Regards,
Mike