[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 19 17:21:01 EDT 2011

On May 19, 2011, at 12:25 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On 5/19/2011 12:05 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> It was not intended as such and I apologize if it came across that way. My point is that your policy
>> would serve the interest of a select few well capitalized organizations significantly better than
>> the interests of the overall community.
>
> If "a select few well capitalized organizations" are going to corner the market on space, doesn't that require them to purchase the maximum amount of space from existing holders at fairly high prices?

The prices may or may not be higher or lower than what would be the case selling to organizations
with justified need.

> That might serve the *financial* interests of the overall community better than policies where the number of buyers is limited by needs assessment.

While it may be more profitable to the members of the community that have addresses that they are not using,
I doubt that it would be to the overall benefit of the community as a whole. The number of buyers with need will
exceed the available address space. As such, I don't believe that need will serve as a significant barrier or
cause undue harm to sellers.

> It also provides existing holders with more cash to use for their IPv6 deployments.

I don't see any evidence to support that theory.

Owen